Hi, I’m Melanie Saward. I’m a Meanjin (Brisbane) based writer and editor. I am proud to be a descendant of the Bigambul and Wakka Wakka peoples.
(my mate is Archie. We’re kind of a package deal)
I achieved my MFA (Research) in Creative Writing from the Queensland University of Technology (QUT) in 2019, a Post-Graduate Certificate in Writing, Editing, and Publishing from The University of Queensland (UQ) in 2011, and Bachelor of Fine Arts (Creative Writing Production) from QUT in 2009.
I am currently an associate lecturer in the School of Creative Practice at QUT and a PhD candidate.
I have experience across a number of different writing and publishing areas including:
- Working in-house at HarperCollins Publishers Australia in fiction and children’s books
- Writing, editing, manuscript assessments, and proofreading
- Tutoring and lecturing university students in various writing, editing, and publishing subjects across the Queensland University of Technology and The University of Queensland
- Teaching emerging writers
- Mentoring emerging writers
- Writing bios for performers
- Corporate communications and marketing
When I’m not writing, editing, mentoring, or reading, I can usually be found in the kitchen baking something sweet, or taking Archie on adventures.